My research interests lie broadly within the field of inequity, where my work has focused on race, sexual orientation, and gender inequality in health and healthcare. I am currently working on projects examining the role of institutions in creating health inequity, how people sort into family and community structures of varying exposure to stressors, and the implications of these differences for early life health. I look at how discrimination embedded in institutions (e.g. predatory lending, marriage inequality) changes exposure to stressors among minority populations, and the degree to which this contributes to the intergenerational transmission of stress and reproduces health inequities over time.
- Downing J, Conron K, Herman JL, Blosnich JR. Transgender And Cisgender US Veterans Have Few Health Differences. Health Affairs. 2018 Jul 1;37(7):1160-8.
- Downing, J., and Przedworski, J "Health of Transgender Adults in the US, 2014–2016." American Journal of Preventive Medicine (2018). doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2018.04.045
- Downing, J., Laraia, B. Rodriguez, H., T., Dow, W., Adler, N., Schillinger, D., Moffet, H., Karter, A. T. Beyond the Great Recession: was the Foreclosure Crisis harmful to the health of individuals with diabetes? Am J Epidemiol 2017 1-7. doi: 10.1093/aje/kww171
- Downing, J., et al. "Downing et al. Respond to “Foreclosures and Health in a Neighborhood Context”." Am J Epidemiol 185.6 (2017): 440-441. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kww170
- Downing, J.*, Laraia, B., Zhang, T., Dow, W., Kelly, M., Blanchard, S., Adler, N., Schillinger, D., Moffet, H., Warton, M., Karter, A. The effect of food environment on weight change: does residential mobility matter? Am J Epidemiol. 2017 May 1;185(9):743-750. doi: 10.1093/aje/kww167
- Zhang, Y.T., Mujahid, M.S., Laraia, B.A., Warton, E.M., Blanchard, S.D., Moffet, H.H., Downing, J. and Karter, A.J., 2017. "Association Between Neighborhood Supermarket Presence and Glycated Hemoglobin Levels Among Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus." Am J Epidemiol 185.12 (2017): 1297-1303. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwx017
- Downing, J., Jenna Bollyky, and Jennifer Schneider. "Use of a Connected Glucose Meter and Certified Diabetes Educator Coaching to Decrease the Likelihood of Abnormal Blood Glucose Excursions: The Livongo for Diabetes Program." Journal of medical Internet research 19.7 (2017). doi: 10.2196/jmir.6659
- Downing, J. "The health effects of the foreclosure crisis and unaffordable housing: A systematic review and explanation of evidence." Social Science & Medicine 162 (2016): 88-96. doi: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.06.014
- Downing J, et al. No Spillover Effect of the Foreclosure Crisis on Weight Change: The Diabetes Study of Northern California (DISTANCE). PloS one. 2016 Mar 17;11(3):e0151334.
- Margerison-Zilko, C.,Goldman-Mellor, S., Falconi, A., Downing, J. "Health Impacts of the Great Recession: a Critical Review." Current Epidemiology Report 3.1 (2016): 81-91.
- Prata, N., Downing, J., Bell, S, Weidert, K., Godefy, H., Gessessew, A., Cost of providing injectable contraceptives through a community-based social marketing program in Tigray, Ethiopia. Contraception 93.6 (2016): 485-491.
- Downing, J, et al. "Cost-effectiveness of the non-pneumatic anti-shock garment (NASG): evidence from a cluster randomized controlled trial in Zambia and Zimbabwe." BMC health services research 15.1 (2015): 37.
- Sutherland T, Downing J, Miller S, Bishai DM, Butrick E, Fathalla MMF, et al. (2013) Use of the Non-Pneumatic Anti-Shock Garment (NASG) for Life-Threatening Obstetric Hemorrhage: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis in Egypt and Nigeria. PLoS ONE 8(4): e62282.